Saturday 7 December 2019

COPPER ALERT - Wilson's Disease

Wilson's Disease is a rare mutated genetic disorder that enables excessive copper to be stored in the body. Particularly in the liver, brain and eyes. America believes that the disorder is found in one in every 30,000-40,000 people and one in 90 could be the carrier of the disease gene.

https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/wilson-disease/

Cooking in Copper pans and cooking utensils can be fatal to people that are carrying Wilson's genetic disease.  This video is about a girl that ate potato salad made in a copper pot, the condition can be terminal. As such in this case the young woman had to be given a new liver. Just because her dad cooked some potatoes in a Copper pan. My view is don't take the chance and cook anything in Copper.


My view is that any Copper cooking utensil, pot or pan, should have a serious health warning. In fact, I would take them off of the shelves.

I've always cooked in stainless steel, and recently I found some lovely white ceramic cooking pots in the charity shop and I am chuffed with my pots. I've also started using a crock pot for slow cooking too.

Having historic copper pans is a nostalgic thing to do, my parents had some antique copper for decor purposes.

HEALING NOSTALIGIA 


No comments:

Post a Comment