Tuesday 19 June 2018

POWDERY MILDEW

MAESTRO 

SAGE 

Due to the amount of English cool nights, rain and humid days, some of the plants are suffering from a "powdery mildew."

It started with the mint not looking that bright and breezy due to browning. I should've paid more notice then when we kept on getting those downpours, the mint required more protection.

As you can see when the sage painting was uploaded previously, the sage was fine, so it can happen quickly, and it can spread quickly.

However, I don't think we should put any eco-washing up liquid on herbs, or any leaves that you might like to eat. Herbs like to be cut, so it is a good time for pruning the sage, so that new growth can come through. It's also a good time to give your sage some extra feed. So we will see if the sage and mint can be saved, otherwise I will start again with new mint and sage.

I've also had a lot of mites on seedlings too this year, so have washed those seedlings down with cider vinegar and water, and covered them with tonic bottles cut in half to protect them while they grow.

Have also kept glass jars and used those for protection and as weights too. You can use the bottles for that inside and out, and it was a good idea to do it with the rainbow chard when they were first put outside while still young.

There is an art to gardening and farming, and it is a great learning curve in this one year of my new life cycle. So enjoy, finding and making the solutions happen, some you try and they may not work for you, others can succeed.

Glass jars are also great for posies, and I have a lovely posy of carnations on the left side of my computer. The fragrance is beautiful.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVMS-4h5rPk

I've been eating lamb with rosemary and thyme this week, and I must admit my back feels a lot better today for doing so. I also made a great vegetable soup that includes chicken brine, carrots, leeks, onions, tomato, new potatoes and celery from the garden with a mixture of herbs. The great thing about the celery is that it loves English weather and a lot of watering.

What else did I have this week, asparagus and egg mayonnaise, lovely.

Today I shall make some beef meat balls, as I do like my recipe for those.

Stay on it, guys and girls.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Ro7baEa6w&start_radio=1&list=RDMMX-Ro7baEa6w

2 comments:

  1. Was it mildew on the mint and sage, it appears not! The Toronto master gardeners recommend disposing of the herbs if this happens and start again. They also advise not to compost the remains.
    http://www.torontomastergardeners.ca/askagardener/indoor-mint-and-sage-leaves-turning-black/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Herb gardening update

    http://lotusfeet22.blogspot.com/2018/06/herb-gardening-update.html

    ReplyDelete