Tuesday 19 January 2016

Brian Nicholson Fleet Street

This is a belated RIP for Brian Nicholson of Fleet Street. The report of his passing was featured in the Telegraph in August, 2015 and he was 85 years. Brian is written in my book of life, and when he knew my family he was the managing director of the Evening Standard.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/11825680/Brian-Nicholson-newspaper-manager.html

I was working for Benton and Bowles Advertising Agency in those days, affectionately known as B&B and working in Knightsbridge was great. The Son of Joseph often had meetings with Brian so I knew his name very well.



Anyway, one day, I had a very important reason to call him, on behalf of a regular advertiser with the newspaper.  We had passed what was known as the copy date, and in my heart I knew that the only person that would be able to get the paper to accept our copy change (with a new ad) would be Brian.

This was a front page ad, so it wasn't just any ad, so I just phoned him, told him whose daughter I was, explained the situation, and why I was ringing him. He was wonderful, in fact he was chuffed to know that I worked in advertising.

He was pleased to be able to help, and afterwards he called dad to tell him what had happened. Then dad was chuffed as well. Two men were chuffed with the young girl, that had given them the opportunity to help her and our client. Everyone was happy, especially my boss at the time.

So thank you Brian for being such a smashing and kind hearted Christian man, its an honour to honour you with an RIP and put your name in heavenly lights.

To me you will always be - the perfect English gentleman.

Love beyond measure to you and your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment