Saturday 1 June 2013

Spicy Root Vegetable Soup

Cooking with the palm oil. Today we are having a traditional English roast dinner. I put some palm oil on the underside and top of the chicken thighs. Olive oil was put on the potatoes that had been boiled in garlic prior to going into the oven. I usually boil a few parsnips with the potatoes when I have some. I like roasted parsnips.



Then to make a spicy root vegetable soup.

I teaspoon of palm oil
I tbs of cumin
1 tbs of tumeric
1 tbs of coriander
2 garlic

Simmered altogether while grating a few left over carrots and parsnips in the mixture. Add some lemon juice for further zing. I had some hot vegetable water left over from cooking the potatoes and parsnips for the main dish, so added half of that water to the pan with the grated mixture and left it simmering. Motto of prudence is 'Waste not, want not'.

1 medium sized onion
2 tbs of balsamic vinegar

Then cut up a medium sized onion into eight and put it in the rest of the left over water, with 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and a couple of spoonfuls of sugar. I don't have any brown so just used what I have.

1 tin of tomatoes

You can add a tin of tomatoes. I usually, rinse the can half with water and add it to the soup with the tomatoes.

After it has all simmered for a while you can taste it to see if it is to your liking. I like spicy soup, so some fresh green chili is added. Of course it does depend on your taste buds. When the chicken and potatoes are finished cooking, you could add the palm and olive oil remains to the soup as well. Or keep it for a different soup. Palm oil is to expensive to cook with on a daily basis,. However, if a person requires a health boost it certainly can give an added booster. I never took supplements and vitamins during my daily life like my mother did, I only took them when my body or energetic system required a booster.

Be a creative cook with healing foods.

You can spend the time to learn about different healing foods that can help you, and your body at different time of your life. You can experiment and see what you and your body likes. I am sharing this with you because recently a friend asked me to write a book of recipes with healing foods.

This soup would be lovely with feta cheese pyramids and or melted cheese in tortilla wraps.

With the wraps, I add a little olive oil and add the wrap to the pan. Then add grated cheese or what cheese I have. I particularly like goats cheese and cheese without any yeast. Melt the cheese then you can add whatever salad you like, like spring onions, fresh tomato, cucumber, crispy lettuce etc with some mayo if you like.

Cheese wraps can be very filling and it is good to eat little and often. I like the way that the wrap goes crispy when lightly fried in olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment