Wednesday 27 May 2020

BAY LEAF SCIENCE

I've been harvesting oregano, thyme and tarragon in recent weeks and over the weekend a friend and I were discussing her bay tree. I suggested that instead of cutting down the tree, perhaps she might like to consider taking cuttings from her bay leaf tree.

I certainly intend to take some cuttings from my Bay leaf bush at this time. I'm also going to take some cuttings from the raspberry bush and clematis. I've already taken cuttings from the Tarragon, Oregano Thyme and Redcurrant.

LAURIS NOBILIS 



Bay leaves can be frozen, they can be used in a tea and in cooking. I've always cooked with bay leaves in my Italian meat sauce because my mother always cooked her meat sauce with bay leaves. It is quite surprising the sheer amount of nutrients that there are in bay leaves. You can appreciate why they were so important in Greek and Italian cooking.

This leaf painting is from a few years ago, my bay leaf is now in its 4th season, although its size is contained in a container. I fed it with an olive tree feed last year and again this year, I also gave it a chicken manure feed this year too. It really is flourishing beautifully.

It can be purchased as an essence, a healing oil, and also as a herbal extract.

So is there any scientific evidence for this amazing plant? This medical scientific published study confirmed that Bay Leaf improves Glucose and Lipid Profile of People with Diabetes type 2.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2613499/





In ancient Greece the bay leaf crowned the winners and those that were victorious. In spiritual symbology it is symbolic of renewal of life, immortality takes on the symbolism of the laurel. In Roman symbology it represents resurrection, renewal, glory and honour.

While I was in the garden tending to the plants today, a lovely young robin redbreast came to visit, he kept on returning and he was really close to my hand. He was near enough to feed if he was brave enough. I made a water bath for him and the other birds because the weather has been very hot in the UK.

Robin Redbreast has a keynote of spread of new growth and its cycle of power is spring. Author, Ted Andrews wrote that the robin establishes its own territory, it brings a message to sing your own song if you wish to bring new growth. A message to go forward with new life, has I have written previously, new life has already begun for yours truly. A rare song.


No comments:

Post a Comment