Saturday 6 March 2021

NO SCREEN TIME UNDER AGE 3

American Paediatricians found that babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers that experienced excessive screen time preceded developmental difficulties. 

A lot has certainly changed during my lifetime, in my day, the television didn't go on until late afternoon while I was cooking dinner. Although sometimes my son would sit on the kitchen work top while I was cooking has he liked to watch me cooking. 

We had a big kitchen diner so he could sit the other side from where I was cooking, he wasn't in any danger. Or sometimes he would sit drawing at the kitchen table while I was cooking. 

American Paediatricians recommend no screen time at all for babies under the age of 18 months to 2 years because children learn what they live. W.H.O. recommend no screen time at all for children under the age of three. 

Babies tend to imitate their parents and learn from face to face interaction. When babies are not getting the direct interaction that they require, they can then become irritable and depressed.

Excessive screen time can also impact upon their sleep patterns and eating. Obesity, and unhealthy diets are related to "slouching" in front of the television screen. 

https://www.apa.org/monitor/2020/04/cover-kids-screens

https://www.allaboutvision.com/en-gb/digital-eye-strain/screen-time/

It is important to tell a child to sit up straight and don't slouch. I don't agree with the slouching buggies and prams either, I don't think they're good for the development of their growing spines and backs. Only long term research will prove the point. 

Also today people tend to have large screen TVs and they emit radiation, has do microwave ovens, then if you include the mobile phones and wifi, babies are living in an environment of "toxic technology". Babies brains are vulnerable to technology, and the brains of children are not fully developed until the age of 25. 

No comments:

Post a Comment