Monday 1 June 2020

POMEGRANATE DAY

I hope you enjoyed Shavuot and Pentecost. I finally juiced my pomegranate today, and pomegranates always reminds yours truly of Israel, being gifted with the fruit prior to leaving for my flight home.

When I arrived at the airport, airport security found the pomegranates in my luggage and they asked me "Where did you get these from?"  When I told them I had been gifted and who by, they all smiled, they were so happy. Clearly, the pomegranates had an important message for them.

A special fruit from the Land of Israel, a special gift. As a child I used to eat pomegranates, sucking the juice off the seeds. The fruit has so many seeds it is considered to be a fruitful fruit in Israel.


Hence carrying the fruit home to England meant a lot to the Israelis. In the Jewish mystical tradition the pomegranates symbolise the mystical tradition or kabbalah. Having entered the garden of the pomegranates is a sign of being a mystic. [1]

In the Eastern Orthodox Church the pomegranate seeds are a symbol of the sweetness of the heavenly kingdom. [1]

Do we have any science on this lovely fruit that some call a super fruit? The science says that Pomegranate helps the muscle cells to protect themselves, science says that the results were spectacular. [2]


So if you are trying to stop the impact of ageing muscles, and/or are suffering from "atrophy", pomegranates have to be on your menu. Interesting that I ate so many pomegranates as a child as I refused to drink milk until the age of seven.

However, pomegranate has also been proven to be powerful in helping cancer patients. [3]

I'm now going to see if I can grow any from the seeds although it is beneficial to eat the seeds too.

My menu today included a freshly juiced pomegranate, then a King prawn cocktail salad. I fancy some cheese and biscuits next.


I've upped my supplements too to help my lower back, I'm taking some boswelli and glucosamine.

Plus fresh fennel is on the menu for tomorrow with chicken and I shall cook it with celery, lemon, lemongrass, ginger and garlic. With some fresh herbs and a salad.

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomegranate

2. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/07/160711120533.htm


3. Fresh Pomegranate for Cancer Patients. 

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/best-supplements-for-prostate-cancer/

No comments:

Post a Comment