Wednesday 5 April 2017

JERUSALEM ARTICHOKES

Some Jerusalem Artichokes grown in England, were reduced this week, so I thought that I would try some. In this link Jamie Oliver has offered a recipe for them that sounds good enough.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/saut-ed-jerusalem-artichokes-with-garlic-and-bay-leaves/

You know me, create my own recipes. I had 350gram of Jerusalem Artichokes, peeled, chopped, cooked in two cloves of garlic, some olive oil, after that included a splash of white white, after a little white wine, some bay leaves and dried thyme. After that a splash of balsamic vinegar and when that was soaked in, two sliced tomatoes and then some water to keep the artichokes moist.

Some people cook the skins and eat those, so I am going to put those in the blender and juice them. After awhile included some of the blended mixture, some more water, and some tomato/chili puree, plus some more thyme. It's turned into a stew.

They take ages to cook, so are they really worth the effort at that price for such a small amount of veg? What nutrients do this species of sunflower have? What is special about the Jerusalem Artichokes?

This link says that they're high in B1, iron, and phosphorus and are recommended to people with diabetes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_artichoke

I don't think I would put these on my monthly menu, unless I had to for health reasons, so far the best thing about the stew is my sauce that they're in.

Another idea if you're interested.  Living and eating by the season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt8B8eMGoS0



No comments:

Post a Comment