Monday 13 September 2021

FARM SHOPS

Farmer's markets are in with a 1.5 billion annual turnover and it is growing fast in the UK. 

What I like about the farmers markets and farm shops is the choice of local fruit and veg, plus I can take my puppy shopping with me. The last time I visited a farm shop I bought some amazing strawberries that lasted far longer than those that you buy at the supermarket. The fresh organic eggs were also wonderful. Given the choice I would choose a local farm shop on a regular basis, although a car is essential to access the farm shops. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9983075/Meet-women-making-farms-Britains-fashionable-shopping-destination.html

One of our local farms has a butchers, fruit and veg shop and raw food and real treats for our pets. 

The recent series with Jeremy Clarkson has certainly given a great boost to the farmers and farm shops. Diddly Squat Farm what a great name. Jeremy bought the farm in 2008 although it was being managed at that time. He is now running it himself with his lovely lady and some wonderful characters that made it a hit show. The series is hilarious and there are some great clips from it on youtube. It has become Amazon's most successful series. 


Support your local farms and farm shops, I also like to grow some of my own, I especially like my herb garden, picking herbs when I require them. I used to grow something new every year to see what works for me and what doesn't, it has been a great adventure. 

Celery is one of the foods that is great to grow in the UK, due to it liking the amount of rain that we get. I didn't grow food from seed in 2021 and in hindsight I am glad that I didn't due to the weather that we've had this year. All year I felt sorry for the farmers having to try to grow food in the weather that we have had. 

I couldn't grow from seed in 2021 because in the summer of 2020, I moved my bedroom into the sunniest room where I used to grow from seed. My journey with food growing began in 2016, it was such fun and I really enjoyed the container gardening, being able to garden sitting down. 

It was great for my health too, spending so much time in the fresh air of nature nurturing it. In this photograph you can see the celery, chives, thyme, greek basil and bay leaf tree. I really like this photograph and how the sunshine lit it. 


In-doors I have three citrus trees and one of them I grew from a pip. This month I'm having another go at growing ginger indoors so we will see whether it will survive the wintertime indoors this year. I've grown all sorts of different foods including Lemongrass from seed. The fruit trees and shrubs didn't survive last winter, far too wet for the fruit trees and shrubs in containers. Hence I won't start again with those until I can move to a suitable location. 


No comments:

Post a Comment